Sunday, June 19, 2011

Blogging About Blogs

I'm a wiggler. I have a hard time sitting still for long periods of time. When I read, I prefer actual books to Kindle or computer screens, because I can get up and move around with my reading material. I love to wander around on the Internet, but it has to be in short bouts of time, because I just get too antsy. I've tried moving the laptop around with me when I'm reading something on it, but this has proven to be somewhat unsatisfying.

So I'm pretty picky about the websites that I choose to visit- they have to be "sitting-still-worthy". The blogs that I listed in my first blog post ARE just that- worth the time to read and re-read. Often, I read to escape, and the Hyperbole and a Half Blog is a fun way to spend leisure time. The posts can be long, but I don't mind because usually I'm laughing so hard while I read!  This humorous blog is my favorite, and when there are no new posts, I read the old ones again. I like it because it is an amusing look at life, and the writer writes in a style I truly admire. I wish I could write like her!

I didn't realize SO MANY people were out there blogging away. Now I know why: blogs are an easy, cheap, effective way to share regularly with others. I can see that the use of blogs in a classroom can give children a boost in technological literacy, and I suspect that children would be enthusiastic about this writing format. And anything that makes children WANT to write more is a GOOD thing. My biggest concern, however, is that the blogs students are reading and therefore writing are quality blogs, which to me would be defined as writing which has a purpose (even if just to entertain), which is spelled correctly, and uses proper punctuation and grammar. This is important because the students I know who post regularly on Facebook show an appalling lack of correctness, and since blogging is "published" for an audience, shouldn't it be readable?

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree that reading on the computer is totally different. I love to write notes and highlight when I read and it just isn't the same when looking at a computer screen. I have to print stuff out. I wish I could save the paper, but it just isn't the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just like you, Jordan. I HAVE to print things to be able to go back to look at it, see the pages, etc. I have a decent photographic memory of pages and passages sometimes, but I can't ever get any recall when I am reading something on the computer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the tone of your blog! Your voice comes through so naturally--I almost feel like I'm sitting down having a cup of coffee with your or something! I definitely agree that I like to be mobile. This sitting in front of the computer nonsense drives me crazy! Can't wait to see what your book is all about!

    ReplyDelete